Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Out of Context Science

Just wanted to point out one of my favorite non-Blogger sites, Out of Context Science.  This Tumblr site is devoted to excerpts from reputable journals of science taken completely out of context that leave you scratching your head.

I'm not a scientist-nor do I play one on tv-but I can generally get an idea of what the original article is about just by the excerpt, but some of them leave me doing that head tilt thing that dogs do when they hear a high pitched noise:

Here are a few examples:

"it is optimal that she be exposed to the number of planets between five and eight days later"
                              Algorithmic Education (including the Mathematics of Cramming)


"to our knowledge, this represents the first description of nasal packing with strips of cured pork for treatment of life-threatening hemorrhage"


"The wrinkly balls did not yield all of their mysteries."
 
 



So if you have an interest in science and ridiculous sounding excerpts, visit Out of Context Science.


*Image courtesy of Puppy Toob.

5 comments:

  1. haha. Those excerpts make science kind of fun even to a totally NON science person like me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love random thoughts and ideas. Thanks for that information. I'm just A to Z-ing it. Nice to meet you. Drop by someday and say, "Hi."

    ReplyDelete
  3. um. Um. Clearing of the throat. I think I'll give it a miss. I have more work and reading than I can handle and a plethora of ideas of my own. hehe.

    http://francene-wordstitcher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete